Sic et Non
That’s Latin for “Yes and No”. That’s how I feel about being 60.
In the YES category are:
- I don’t care what people think about me, because I like me. If they don’t like what I’m doing, then it sucks to be them.
- I actually like the way I look, wrinkles and all. My face and the gray in my hair says “life well lived”
- I’m in the best shape of my life. I pretty much weigh what I did when I graduated from high school and I can carry a 50 pound bale of hay as far as I need to. I can even run up the driveway without breaking a sweat or even panting.
- I speak with authority because, damn it, I’m 60. I know stuff about life that a 20 year old doesn’t.
- So far, my body is working just the way it should and my blood pressure is the envy of a 30 year old.
In the NO category are:
- I’m 60. That’s 10 years away from being 70. Holy smokes, how did I ever get to be so old? And why, if I am this old, don’t I feel old? Geez, I hope I never “feel old”, and the years never catch up to me.